Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Home Sweet Lakeland


Well... it has almost been a solid month since I returned home to wonderful Lakeland, Florida and I have to say I'm THRILLED to spend the next two months here.  Life has been busy.  I started my internship with the Lakeland Economic Development Council (LEDC) just days after I finished finals. 



I am grateful for the opportunity to co-lead the Summer Leadership Program (SLP) (of 51 participants ages 20-30) with one of my good friends, Savannah. 
    Every Thursday for eight weeks we will be traveling to different businesses &  “staple” areas of Lakeland while hearing from some of our cities top leaders and experienced professionals.  After working for the LEDC for a short four weeks I have learned many facts about my hometown that I was never aware of.  My love and appreciation for this city and what it has to offer has grown tremendously. 

         I want to share a few photos of my favorite spots here in Lakeland...here goes: 

Lakeland is home to Publix Super Markets & yes this water tower exists

Munn Park - downtown
Hollis Gardens 

Harry's Seafood & Grille - a little taste of N'awlins style food - downtown
Lake Mirror - downtown
Locally owned- Mitchell's Coffeehouse - downtown
As you can tell downtown is filled with some of my all time favorite places in Lakeland.  It offers a personable, "small town" feel... as Lakeland is known for being "the biggest, small town."  This city is thriving. After a busy and fun-filled four weeks with SLP - I am excited to see what is in store for the rest of my summer here...

* LEDC is the founder of "YLakeland" - which is where SLP originated from...take a look at the site/blog to keep up with our program's summer adventures : Click for YLakeland site

No comments:

Post a Comment